31 Meyrick St: Agnes Fish set up a bazaar here having moved
from Cardiff after WW 1. This remained open until 1944.
Subsequently occupied by Cecil Davies, a grocer, until Fenton
Factors moved in, followed by Pembroke Angling in June 95.
54 Bush St: Thomas Fish, Hardware Store was set up by Thomas
& Agnes Fish in 1920. Having spent a short period in Queen St.
The shop was initially run by Agnes Fish, Thomas B Fish, having
moved to PD to supervise the erection of Army huts at Llanion
Barracks and at Bush Camp.
George, the eldest son, was in the Post Office and part time
in The National Fire Service. He attended the Tank Fire in 1940,
and was probably the fireman closest the scene when the bombs
dropped, as he was delivering post in Military Rd. He was also
in St Johns Ambulance part time and joined the newly formed
Pembrokeshire Ambulance Service in 1948, until retirement.
A bomb dropped destroying 58-62 Bush St on 11th May 1940,
causing considerable damage to 54.
Tom Fish [Jnr] assisted with shop deliveries and when Agnes
couldn't continue, Tom and Ron Fish ran the shop for many years
until May 82 when, Tom and his wife Gwen took over until
50 Bush St: Harry Raven & his wife Daisy ran a greengrocers
shop here for many years, business continued after their
retirement by Frances & Jim Harries
56 Bush St; Raymonds butchers shop operated for many years in
the 50-60. There was a café on the 2nd floor ran by Walter
Williams, who subsequently moved to the "Double Two" café on
London Rd. When the café ceased he opened a petrol station on
the same site and eventually Tesco bought the area and still
49 Bush St: Ronald Morgan, "Borough Stores" ran a grocers
here for many years in the 50s-70, when Ian Peters took over as
" Captain Cook" delicatessen. Nin Thomas of Cresswell Quay
working here for many years till Jan 79, with Betty Smith and
John Fenwick and Ruby Fish.
51 Bush St: Alfred "Affie" Davies ran his undertakers
business from this address until taken over by John Roberts in
the 70s. Currently run by his son Neil, following his dads
57 Bush St: T P Williams, a sweet wholesaler was run by John
MacCall and his wife Eileen in the 50s and 60s
59 Bush St : Brawns Bakery was owned by Ron & Rose Brawn, and
operated here for many years, including a van delivery round to
the country areas
61 Bush St: Donovans- a sports shop was run by Frank Donovan,
an Olympic footballer and Boro player for many years. Frank also
operated an electrical business from the premises.
63 Bush St: West Wales Guardian, the weekly paper had an
office here staffed by Llewelyn Thomas
65 Bush St: Bush Tavern- run by Eddie Jones
66 Hewitts Electrical- Shop and contracting business here for
many years in late 60s
69-72: Council Offices
Shops between Park St & Meyrick St included Queenie Hughes,
dressshop, later ran by Joyce Scourfield, Stephens fishmonger, &
Elsdons Garage on the south side.
Hope you can use the info to correct that held on the
website. Possible further info on the fire together with bill
headings are available
With thanks to Mr T Fish............. More