| Regiments Introduction | Regiments at Pembroke Dock 1847 to 1967  | Regiments at Llanion 1905 to 1967 |
 

 

Regiments in Llanion Barracks 1905 to 1967
compiled by Mr. Ron Watts.    Download pdf file (108kb)

Llanion Barracks was completed and handed over to the military in 1904, during that year a Garrison Brigade of Artillery staged in the barracks prior to moving into the various forts along the Milford Haven Waterway. The Barracks proved to be one of the most modern in the country. Plans for it were drawn up in 1899; and it is suggested they were constructed from plans identical to those used in the construction of British barracks in India. Built of red brick, each of the four blocks had verandas running across the full length of their south facing upper floor levels where it was said 'the men could walk out and take the air'. It was also the first barracks to be constructed with a separate area for cooking and ablutions. Until this time soldiers cooked meals in their billets and sat on their beds to eat it, while the ablutions for washing was at the end of the billet with only the toilets being separate. This camp like others before it, was to house a battalion of 1,000 infantry.

 

1905 2nd Battalion, Duke of Edinburgh's Wiltshire Regiment arrived in the garrison(The Springers) relieving the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry,billeted at Bush Camp. The Wiltshire’s were officially the first regiment to occupy the new Barracks.

 

1911 2nd Battalion, The Welsh Regiment arrived on their fifth tour marching into (The Old Agamemnons) Llanion Barracks from where, later in the year they were ordered to Liverpool to assist the civil powers during the national rail strike.

 

1914 3rd (Reserve) Battalion, Kings Liverpool Regiment

 

1914 3rd (Reserve) Battalion Kings Shropshire Light Infantry An hour later the KSLI moved in with them.

 

1915 Kings Liverpool Regiment formed at Llanion Barracks on August 17th (The Leather hats)

 

1919 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Welsh Regiment. The first Btn. consisted of just 5 (The invalids) and (The Old Agamemnons) Officers and 35 men.

 

1922 2nd Battalion Royal Welch Fusiliers, Their band played at the opening of the (The Nanny Goats) Memorial Park, 2nd May 1925

 

1926 2nd Battalion East Lancashire Regiment (The Triple Xs)

 

1929 1st Battalion the Essex Regiment (The Little Fighting Fours)

 

1933 2nd Battalion The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). (Elegant Extracts)

 

1937 2nd Battalion The Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Elegant Extracts)

 

1939 2nd Battalion The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) the most senior infantry regiment (The Resurrectionists) to garrison the town.

 

1940 77 (Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry) Medium Regiment Royal Artillery (The Gunners) A note of interest here shows that Arthur Lowe known today as Captain Mannering in the television series Dad's Army served with the 77th at Llanion Barracks.

 

1940 138 Heavy AckAck

Regiment Royal Artillery (TA), shared with the 77 (Duke of (The Gunners) Lancaster's Own Yeomanry) Medium Regiment,

 

1941 10th and 11th Battalions of the Durham Light Infantry with elements of the (The Faithful Durhams) Tyne Side Scottish arrived from Iceland on Christmas eve

 

1942 41st Commando Royal Marine Light Infantry reorganised at Llanion Barracks (The Jollies) on the 10th October, once formed it redesignated to 'B' Commando Royal Marine.

 

1942 Kings Own Scottish Borderers moving on in 1943 (Kokky Olly Birds)

 

1943 US 110 Regiment of the 28 (Keystone) Infantry Division accompanied by their (Keystone) engineers from the (Rainbow) Division

 

1949 144 Battery of 56 Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery (The Gunners)

 

1952 139 Battery Royal Artillery leaving in 1955. Sharing with 408 (The Gunners)

 

1953 408 Coast Regiment Royal Artillery (Pembroke) (TA) (The Heavies)

 

1954 1st Battalion The Welsh Regiment under command of Colonel Cowie DSO (The Invalids)

 

1957 22 Light Ack Ack Regiment Royal Artillery (Welsh Gunners) (The Gunners)

 

1962 42 Field Regiment Royal Artillery under the command of Lieutenant Colonel (The Gunners) Norman Walker OBE MC

 

1965 37 Guided Weapons Regiment, Royal Artillery (The Gunners)

 

1967 The Garrison Closed Italics are regimental nicknames